Posted: Jul 26, 2019
General Contractor - Estimator
Responsible for the estimating, pricing and VE stage for Bid, GMP and Design-Build projects. Demonstrates proficiency in client interactions, design management, scheduling complete estimating effort; including all estimate milestones, deadlines, bids and identifying long-lead items and other needs. Project ranges: Tenant improvement, ground up, renovations and site work up to $20 million. Heavy focus on health care, hospital, education, and institutional projects.
• Reports directly to the President and with strong collaboration and teamwork with all operations staff.
• Manage the estimating process through initial ITB/advertising/prequalification and solicitation of subcontractors and bid evaluation process.
• Develop and write all bid packages and subcontractor scopes of work. Transmit addenda and other bid information to subcontractors.
• Seek and qualify new subcontractors.
• Responsible for review of project bid’s accuracy and communication of construction techniques and strategies used in bid preparation on successful bids with the project manager through a formal handoff, prior to project commencement.
• Perform value engineering and life-cycle costing.
• Prepare budgets and estimates for all stages of design from conceptual through final construction documents and put in presentation form.
• Coordinates preconstruction stages to include participation in scheduling estimate delivery, meetings with clients, job walks and plan distribution to subcontractors.
• Participate with the project manager in the award of all subcontracts and help prepare all subcontract scopes before turning over to the construction team.
• Assist the project manager with the preparation of project significant change estimates including change orders and construction claims when needed.
• Developing and maintaining cost history on different types of projects.
• Identify tasks to be accomplished in order to satisfy contractual requirements.
• Establish and fosters positive long-term relationships with all business partners, including owners, architects, engineers, and subcontractors and internally with the Evergreen Team.
To be a strong fit for our Estimator position, you will need:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Construction, Construction Management, Engineering, Project Management or related field and/or equivalent experience.
• At least three years of recent estimating experience in the construction industry with a General Contractor.
• Strong knowledge of estimating software, engineering principles, and construction principles.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Superior problem-solving abilities and time management skills.
• Strong organization skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
• Ability to prioritize, take ownership of tasks, and exhibit a high level of initiative and follow-through.
• Must be proficient in operational/administrative software; Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, Outlook) required; experience and familiarity with PowerPoint and proficiency in Red Team construction software is a plus.
• Strong conceptual estimating skills
• Shows ability to complete both large projects as well as large, complex competitive bid projects.
• Knowledge of local subcontractor community and all trades a strong plus.