Posted: Feb 22, 2018
WVP- THE DOCTORS’ CLINIC
Position: Director of Nursing Department: Nursing
Reports to: Administrator Hours: Full time
The Director of Nursing assumes authority, responsibility, and accountability for the delivery of nursing services in the clinic. In collaboration with the clinic Administrator, allocates department resources in an efficient and economic manner to enable each nursing employee to complete their job successfully. Collaborates with other departments, medical professionals, outside resources and organizations, to develop, support and coordinate patient care, related administrative functions, and to represent the interests of the clinic.
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS, AND CREDENTIALS
Must possess a current Oregon license as a Registered Nurse and have graduated from an accredited school of nursing. Five years of professional nursing experience in a patient care setting is required, and a minimum of three years progressive experience in nursing administration or a comparable management position. Must possess and demonstrate a high degree of leadership, organizational ability, and communication skills. Knowledge of outpatient clinical care, policies, budgeting and personnel management is required. Current CPR certification is required
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The employee must be able to perform each essential function effectively to be successful in this position.
1. Participates in recruitment and hiring of staff for the nursing department
2. Conducts annual and special performance evaluations, disciplinary measures and termination of personnel in conjunction with the Administrator. Evaluates the work performance of all nursing personnel, assists in the determination of wage increases, and implements discipline according to operational policies.
3. Schedules working hours and duty assignments for all nursing staff members to ensure adequate coverage for each physician and mid-level provider on duty.
4. Develop, maintain, and implement nursing policies and procedures that conform to current standards of nursing practice, clinic philosophy, and operational policies while maintaining compliance with state and federal laws and regulations.
5. Organizes and conducts staff meetings on a regular basis for dissemination of information regarding policy updates, electronic records updates and training, workflow changes and updates in vaccines and patient care and monitors staff practices and implementation.
6. Ensures delivery of compassionate quality care and nursing supervision as evidenced by adequate services and staff coverage for physicians and mid-level providers
7. Demonstrates knowledge of and application of key quality measures, and proactively monitors staff productivity and ability to document for quality measures by conducting ongoing chart reviews.
8. Keeps abreast of changes and trends in nursing by continuing education, seminars and publications. Develops and implements orientation training programs and on the job training programs for nursing staff. Makes recommendations for continuing education for staff members.
9. Ensures that all nursing staff members have current professional licenses and certifications if appropriate, and maintains a record of such.
10. Monitors staff for compliance with OSHA mandates and facility policies on workplace safety.
11. Monitors and evaluates the infection control program designed to provide a safe, sanitary, and comfortable environment.
12. Coordinates and/or develops ongoing QA activities for nursing services to monitor nursing compliance with standards and regulatory requirements.
13. In conjunction with the administrator, participates in monitoring the budget for the nursing department, and for medical, nursing, central supplies and equipment. Assures nursing staff properly manage inventory in the patient care area
13. Manages/oversees the ordering and maintenance of supplies, medications and vaccines for the patient care area.
14. Ensures that all employees are screened annually for TB, receive and have record of required vaccines and communicates with the Medical Staff Office of the hospital regarding medical staff vaccines and TB testing
15. Develops and implements CPR training for appropriate clinic personnel, and maintains records of such.
16. Promotes customer service and responds to and adequately resolves complaints or concerns from patients regarding nursing personnel/services.
17. Monitors Incident Reports and promptly forwards reports to the Safety Committee for appropriate action.
18. Oversees and participates in the management of the Vaccines for Children program, management of medication refills and prior authorization of prescribed medications.
19. Organizes and facilitates yearly Flu Vaccine clinics and manages staffing levels and training for the clinics.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
Knowledge of current federal and state laws and regulations that apply to the practice of nursing and delegation of duties to Medical Assistant staff. Have strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to prioritize responsibilities. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.